- 1.5 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 strips bacon
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Fry bacon in 8-10″ cast iron skillet over medium heat. Turn occasionally and cook until crispy, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon to paper towel lined plate. Put skillet in oven.
- Melt butter and mix with milk and eggs in a bowl.
- In large bowl, mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Chop jalapeños, crumble bacon and add to the mixture.
- Add wet mixture to the bowl and mix well with a fork.
- Remove skillet fro oven and place on a trivet. Pour cornbread mixture into hot skillet. Place in oven and bake 25 minutes. Test for doneness by sticking toothpick in to center of cornbread. If it is wet when you pull it out, bake an additional five minutes.
- When done, remove cornbread from oven and let rest 5-10 minutes. Cut and serve with butter.