- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 to 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in the chili powder, cayenne and pepper; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the ketchup, molasses, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Strain sauce through a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 month. Use as a basting sauce for grilled meats.