- Bananas: Make sure to use bananas that are ripe but still firm. If they’re overly ripe, they’ll become mushy after grilling (which is okay flavor-wise, just not as pretty to look at)
- Maple syrup: Use pure maple syrup: you could also use honey if desired
- Rum: Add in a splash of rum if you like! This channels the bananas foster vibe even more
- Vanilla ice cream: Topping with melty vanilla ice cream takes it to star status
- Chopped pecans: Optional, but the toasting crunch adds a finishing touch
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat: that’s 375 to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the bananas in half with the peel on. See the notes above.
- Brush the tops with the maple syrup and spices.
- Grill cut side down for 3 to 4 minutes, until you get those lovely char marks.
- Flip and grill cut side up for 4 to 5 minutes. This finishes the cooking.
- Use a spoon to scoop the bananas out of the peels. Garnish and enjoy!