For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white wine or apple cider vinegar, or to taste
- 1/8 cup sugar, plus more to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
For the salad:
- 1 pound small-medium broccoli florets, raw or blanched
- 1 red apple, chopped
- 1 cup gouda or sharp cheddar, diced
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 cup almonds, pecans, or sunflower seeds, chopped and toasted
- 1/2 pound bacon, chopped and browned until crispy
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, sugar, parsley, garlic powder, and salt in a large salad bowl.
- Taste the dressing for seasoning.
- Add the broccoli to the dressing, tossing to coat.
- Let the broccoli sit in the dressing for 5 minutes.
- Add the apple, cheese, cranberries, almonds, bacon, and red onion to the bowl and toss well.
- Taste for seasoning and serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours.