For the bake:
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup orange juice
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- Grease a 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- In a Dutch oven, place the potatoes and cover with water.
- Bring the sweet potatoes to a boil, then reduce the heat, and simmer until tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Drain the water from the sweet potatoes and let cool until cool enough to handle.
- Peel the cooled potatoes and cut them into 1/4-inch slices, then place them on the prepared baking dish.
- Top the sweet potatoes with 1/2 of the cranberries, 1/4 cup of the brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon of the butter. Repeat the layers once.
- Pour the orange juice over the bake.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the walnuts, the remaining brown sugar, and the cinnamon.
- Cut the remaining cold butter into the walnut mixture.
- Sprinkle the walnut mixture over the sweet potato bake.
- Bake, uncovered, until the topping is golden brown, about 10 minutes.