For the salad:
- 12 ounces whole-wheat pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup pickles, chopped
- 1/2 cup lettuce, shredded
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- Cook the pasta to al dente according to the package instructions. Drain the water from the pasta and place the pasta in a large bowl. Set aside to cool.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a pan over medium heat, add the olive oil, onion, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sauté the veggie mixture until soft and fragrant, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the ground beef to the veggie mixture, crumbling while cooking until no longer pink, about 7-10 minutes. Season the cooked meat with more salt and pepper.
- Drain the excess grease from the meat and place the meat in another bowl to cool.
- Add the cooled meat mixture, tomatoes, red onion, pickles, lettuce, and cheddar cheese to the cooled pasta. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, stir the ketchup and mayonnaise until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the salad.
- Plate and serve.