- 8 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb collard greens, cleaned, stems removed, and chopped into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Place the bacon in a large pot or dutch oven and cook the bacon until crispy and remove half of the cooked bacon and set aside.
- Add in the onion and garlic and cook on low heat until the onions are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the collard greens into the pot and cook and cook for 2 minutes or until they are wilted. Pour in the chicken broth/stock.
- Add salt and pepper and reduce the heat to low, then cover the pot and simmer for 1 ½ hours or until the greens are tender.
- Uncover and stir in the hot sauce and apple cider vinegar. Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add reserved bacon on top and serve immediately.