- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- rice, to taste, cooked and warm, for serving
- green onions, to taste, sliced, for serving
Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the garlic, the ginger, the red pepper flakes, the apple juice, the brown sugar, the ketchup, the apple cider vinegar, the water, and the soy sauce.
Pour the sauce over the chicken.
Cover the slow cooker and cook the chicken mixture on low heat until it is cooked through and very tender, about 5-7 hours.
Transfer the chicken from the slow cooker and shred or cut it into chunks.
In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of the sauce from the slow cooker together.
Stir the cornstarch mixture into the sauce in the slow cooker until it thickens.
Return the chicken to the slow cooker and let it warm until ready to serve.
- Serve the chicken over the warmed rice and garnish it with the green onions.