- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) unsweetened apple juice
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- Combine the salt, garlic powder, pepper and cayenne; sprinkle over chicken.
- Prepare grill for indirect heat, using a drip pan. Pour half of the apple juice into another container and save for another use. With a can opener, poke additional holes in the top of the can. Holding the chicken with legs pointed down, lower chicken over the can so it fills the body cavity. Place chicken on grill rack over drip pan.
- Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1-1/2-2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Combine apple butter and barbecue sauce; baste chicken occasionally during the last 30 minutes. Remove chicken from grill; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove chicken from can before carving.