- 1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons each garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika
- 1-1/4 teaspoons each ground cumin, coarsely ground pepper and cayenne pepper
- 12 bone-in country-style pork ribs (about 7 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and seasonings; sprinkle over ribs. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour.
- For sauce, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 5-6 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Wrap ribs in a large piece of heavy-duty foil; seal edges of foil. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat until ribs are tender, 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours.
- Carefully remove ribs from foil. Place ribs over direct medium heat; baste with some of the sauce. Grill, covered, until browned, 8-10 minutes, turning and basting occasionally with remaining sauce.