For the crust and topping:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
For the filling:
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin pie mix, not puree
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease an 8×8-inch square baking dish and line it with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, the brown sugar, the baking soda, the baking powder, the cinnamon, the cloves, and the salt.
- Add the melted butter and mix until a crumbly dough forms.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of the dough mixture for the topping.
- Press the remaining dough mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Combine the pumpkin pie mix, the egg, and the vanilla together in the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand mixer until well-combined.
- Pour the filling over the crust in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top of the filling with the reserved dough mixture.
- Bake until the topping is golden brown, about 28-32 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan.
- Cut into squares and serve.