- 1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie crust, unbaked
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons butter, cut into 5 pieces
- whipped cream, to taste, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Set the empty pie crust on a baking sheet.
- Pour the water into the pie crust.
- In a small bowl, stir the flour and the sugar together.
- Evenly sprinkle the sugar mixture over the water in the crust. Do not stir.
- Drizzle the vanilla over the water and top with the pieces of butter.
- Bake the pie for 30 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 375 degrees F and carefully cover the sides of the crust with foil, if needed, to prevent burning.
- Cook the pie for 30 minutes, then allow it to completely cool. The pie will be watery when you take it out of the oven, but it will gel as it cools.
- Cover the pie and chill in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Slice and serve with the whipped cream.