For the optional chicken:
- 1 pound chicken breast or tenders, boneless and skinless
- chili powder, to taste
- cumin, to taste
- paprika, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
For the avocado dressing:
- 1 medium-sized avocado, peeled and seeded
- juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 large tomatillo, paper skin removed and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the salad:
- 4-6 cups romaine lettuce, plus more as needed, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup jicama, optional, diced
- 1/2-1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- tortilla strips, optional, to taste, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Season the chicken with chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Bake the chicken until it reaches 165 degrees F in its thickest part, about 17-20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and cover with foil for 10 minutes.
- Slice or dice the chicken and set it aside.
- In a food processor, add the avocado, lime juice, sour cream, garlic, cilantro, tomatillo, avocado oil, and 1 teaspoon salt and blend until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy with chunks remaining.
- In a large salad serving bowl, combine the romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes, black beans, corn, red onion, jicama, shredded cheese, and the cooked chicken.
- Drizzle the avocado dressing into the salad and toss until everything is well-coated.
- Top with the tortilla strips and serve!