For the beef filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup fire-roasted salsa
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the salad:
- 1 head romaine lettuce or iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 1 (15.5 ounces) can black beans, optional drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, optional, diced
- 5 tablespoons sour cream, optional
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion, optional
- crunchy tortilla bowls or tortilla chips, optional, for serving
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef to the skillet, cooking thoroughly until browned and cooked through.
- Drain the fat.
- Stir in the salsa, chili powder, and cumin. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Warm mixture through and then remove from heat.
- Layer the lettuce, beans, cheese, tomatoes, sour cream, avocado, and red onion in bowls or into tortilla bowls. Ladle the beef filling on top and serve.
- Serve with tortilla chips if not using a tortilla bowl!