- 1 cup yellow cornmeal, plus more, to taste, for dusting the pan
- 2 cups rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 (16.5-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 10-inch ovenproof skillet and sprinkle it with the extra cornmeal to coat.
In a large bowl, combine the rice, 1 cup of the cornmeal, the onion, the jalapeño pepper, the salt, and the baking soda.
In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, the milk, and the oil together.
Add the cream-style corn to the egg mixture and mix well.
Add the egg mixture to the rice mixture and stir until blended.
Fold the shredded cheese into the batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared skillet.
Bake the cornbread until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes.
Cut the cornbread into wedges.