Coffee Dry Rub
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ground coffee
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp paprika
- 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1/4 Tbsp ground coriander
Cola and Coffee BBQ Sauce
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic roughly minced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 6 oz Dr Pepper
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper3
- Tbsp brewed coffee
- 2 lbs Angus ground beef 85/15
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream or extra bbq sauce
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Brioche or pretzel buns
- green leaf or arugula lettuce
- 8 slices cooked bacon
- Make the Dry Rub
- Combine coffee rub seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl and mix together with a fork. Set aside.
- Make the BBQ Sauce
- Melt butter over MED heat in a saucepan. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add remaining bbq sauce ingredients, stirring to combine. Bring to a low boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, until sauce has thickened.
- Pour sauce into blender or food processor and puree. Set aside to cool.
- Cook and Assemble the Burgers.
- To a mixing bowl, add ground beef, heavy cream, salt, and black pepper. Mix well with your hands. Divide into 6 equal sections. Each burger will be about 1/3 pound.
- Use your thumbs to press a half dollar sized divot in the center of each patty (this will help prevent the burger from doming up while cooking).
- Liberally rub coffee seasoning mix over both sides of each burger.
- Preheat grill over MED HIGH heat and lightly brush grates with vegetable oil if desired. Grill burgers, for about 5 minutes per side, or until desired doneness is achieved.
- While burgers are grilling, toast buns on the grill as well.
- To serve, spread bbq sauce over the top and bottom buns, then top the bottom bun with a piece of lettuce, a cooked burger, a smear of more bbq sauce, some bacon, then top with the top bun.