- 1 (14-ounce) bag coleslaw mix, chopped into 1/8-inch pieces
- 1/2 small onion, diced into 1/8-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- paprika, to taste
- kosher salt, to taste
In a large bowl, add the coleslaw mix.
Place the onions in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse with cold water to soften the flavor, about 1 minute.
Gently ring out the onions in a paper towel, then stir them into the coleslaw mix.
In a pint jar, add the sugar and the 3 tablespoons of water and stir until the sugar dissolves a bit.
Add the mayonnaise, the apple cider vinegar, the mustard powder, the paprika, and the salt to the sugar-water mixture, cover the jar with the lid, and shake vigorously until the mixture is combined.
Stir the dressing mixture into the coleslaw.
Let the coleslaw marinate and soften, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
Taste the coleslaw and season with more of the salt as needed.