- 8-10 dry red chili peppers (see note 2)
- 1-2 fresh red chili peppers (optional)
- 4 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 tsp coriander seeds
- 1.5 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 6-7 Cardamom pods (optional, if available )
- 8-10 Cloves
- 2 tsp Black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 8-10 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 inch ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup Vinegar
- Dry roast whole dry Kashmiri red chili peppers in a skillet over medium high heat for a couple of minutes till they get aromatic. Take them out and, when cool enough to handle, cut them into pieces and place in the blender.
- Dry roast cumin, coriander, mustard, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and peppercorns together for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, till they get aromatic.
- Add roasted spices and all remaining ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth. (You may add 2 Tbsp water if needed to blend it to a smooth paste)