- 3 lb. russet potatoes (about 5 medium), chopped
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more for the water
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 1 c. mayonnaise
- 1/4 c. chopped pickled jalapeños, plus 2 tablespoons brine
- 3 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for topping
- 3 sweet gherkins, chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Season with salt. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return to the pot, then mash with a potato masher.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, turning, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Drain on a paper towel–lined plate, then chop.
- Scrape the potatoes into a large bowl. Add half of the bacon, the cheese, mayonnaise, pickled jalapeños and brine, mustard, hard-boiled eggs, scallions, gherkins, salt and pepper. Fold everything together. Serve the potato salad warm or cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or overnight. Top with the remaining bacon and more scallions before serving.