For the crust:
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (9-inch) pie shell, baked and cooled
For the caramel layer:
- 20 caramel cubes
- 1/4 cup cream or milk
- 1 1/4 cups salted peanuts
For the chocolate layer:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8-ounce) container imitation whipped topping
For the garnish:
- imitation whipped topping, optional, to taste
- caramel drizzle, optional, to taste
- peanuts, optional, to taste
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of butter in the microwave in increments of 20 seconds until melted.
- Spread the chocolate mixture on the bottom of the pie crust.
- Chill the chocolate-covered pie crust until it is set, about 10-15 minutes.
- In a microwave-safe glass bowl, melt the caramels and cream in the microwave in increments of 20 seconds until melted, stirring often.
- Allow the melted caramel mixture to cool slightly.
- Combine the peanuts with the cooled caramel mixture and pour into the pie shell.
- Chill the caramel layered pie shell for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- In another microwave-safe bowl, melt the remaining chocolate chips and remaining butter until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Let the melted chocolate mixture sit for 15 minutes.
- Fold about 1/3 of the imitation whipped topping into the cooled chocolate mixture. Then fold in the remaining imitation whipped topping.
- Spread the creamy chocolate mixture over the chilled caramel layer.
- Chill the pie until it is set, at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Garnish the pie with the remaining imitation whipped topping, caramel, and peanuts just before serving.
- Plate and serve.